1.00 BUG Issues with Closing the Map When Using a Joystick

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MutantDwarf
x4

1.00 BUG Issues with Closing the Map When Using a Joystick

Post by MutantDwarf » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 22:32

Version: 1.00 (323021) English
Modified?: No, standard Steam Collector's Edition install
Start: The Young Gun
Relevant Changes: I've customized my keybindings for my Rhino X-55 HOTAS

Problem Description: If you are using a joystick to control your flight, then when you close the map there will be a half-second of lag between the map closing and the game responding to joystick axis inputs. Joystick button inputs still work during this time.

As a further problem when using the joystick, you can select an object in the map and then press the 'T' key (by default) to target it. This causes a little orange box to appear around the object in the map. When you close the map you will have the item targeted - for half a second. After that half-second, the game will automatically un-target the object you targeted, even if you give the 'hold target' command in the time between the map closing and the joystick axis inputs being turned back on. I believe the source of this problem to be the decision to make the game automatically target only what is in front of the player when they are using a joystick rather than allowing the joystick-user to select targets using their keybindings. If there were an option to disable this feature, it would at least allow the user to get around the inability to target items from the map.

vulkaninfo.txt
DxDiag

EDIT: Fixed Start name.
Last edited by MutantDwarf on Sat, 1. Dec 18, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: 1.00 BUG Issues with Closing the Map When Using a Joystick

Post by CBJ » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 22:51

Thanks for the clear and detailed report. I've passed this directly to the relevant person to take a look at.

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 07:56

Something that I realized isn't included in the previous bug report: I use mouse/keyboard while docked and when using the menu interface, and my HOTAS setup when flying. I just realized that the input lag occurs when you are using the mouse/keyboard while flying and then switch to using a joystick; it probably isn't directly related to switching between flight and menus at all.

EDIT: And it turns out that the second complaint about it being difficult to select items in the map - the 'Gamepad Mode' switch in settings disables the automatic target selection based on where you're pointing that I was complaining about, which should fix that problem - for those people who want that off. But I think it should still be possible to keep things selected when you have 'Gamepad Mode' turned on.

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 09:31

You are correct, this is the gamepad mode kicking in. Perhaps the "Only Controllers" setting for that mode would be a better default, I will discuss this internally. Thanks!

The target being lost is a different issue though, I will forward that to the relevant dev.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”