doubleshadow's DBOX2 (1.11)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

infuowers
x3

Post by infuowers » Sun, 14. May 06, 03:48

Having problems getting DBox2 0.0.5 to work in GMax 1.2
Not a noob to computers or modding just modding X3 but I am starting to grasp file content.
Steps taken:
1)Installed DBox and verified proper install.
2)Installed GMaxSLGrab. BTW no link in your HTML help but I found it anyways.
3) Ran Gmax - Open Rollout for Maxscipts and DBOX is loaded but no buttons in utility or windows. So..
4)Modified DBOX2.ini to proper file locations for Grabber and changed setting under [window] to utility.
5) Ran Gmax. No luck!
Re-read html help file. Hmmm...

Am I missing something in Gmax that allows me to open .bod files. As I understand, there should be a window or utilities rollout that has the importer/exporter tools.
Help me please!!! I have over 15 years of modeling experience with various CAD platforms and many conversion utils for all the different formats. I would like to contribute to the community and of course fullfill my own desires.

jensemann
x4

Post by jensemann » Sun, 14. May 06, 17:50

I had the problem that i had only transparent Textures, so couldnt even see the ship. I used a texture from dds with an didnt change to opaque in the Material Editor instead it kept its image Alpha. In the game it had size and could be rammed, but not damaged in any kind. Maybe i had some other settings wron too.

@doubleshadow

would you be able to explain the Mat6 short line? What do the different values mean?

jensemann
ob ***modified*** oder nicht - Hauptsache: Spaß!!!

Carrier Fighter Supplies V1.2a deutsch
Carrier Fighter Supplies V1.2a english

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Mon, 15. May 06, 08:25

@infuowers

So you've selected the Utilities tab in the Create panel (the right one), clicked the MaxScript button and selected DBOX2 from the menu (combobox) ? - remember you have to select it even if it already is displayed in the menu. That's glitch in 3ds max/gmax.

After that DBOX rollout should appear in the Utilities panel. Changing the ini will not help you because as long as you are starting DBOX via the Utilities menu, it will always start as utility.

To try alternative way, change the dockState in the ini to "float".
Then go to Customize->Customize User Interface in gmax main menu.
Select Toolbars tab and change Category to MaxScript Tools. You should see DBOX2 entry.
Drag the entry and put it anywhere on the main gmax toolbar.
Close the Customize dialog and click the DBOX button. You should see the DBOX window now.
The dockState ini setting (left, right, float) only works when you are starting DBOX via the macro command - i.e. via the button or menu entry which can be added in similar way. (under 3ds max this setting is saved automatically).

@jensemann

I will post the MAT6 description at the x3 wiki http://wikihost.org/wikis/x3wiki/
Although basic answer is "I don't have idea" :)

tensin
x3

Post by tensin » Wed, 24. May 06, 21:05

I'm such a n00b here...

Got 3DS Max 8 (demo).
Installed DBOX.
Opening up DBOX, importing BOD files from Balgot.

I get some boxes indicating ship positions (like the cockpit), and on the cap ships I get turret positions, but I don't get the wireframe.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Thu, 25. May 06, 08:12

tensin wrote:Opening up DBOX, importing BOD files from Balgot.
I get some boxes indicating ship positions (like the cockpit), and on the cap ships I get turret positions, but I don't get the wireframe.
It could be because:

1) you have your Data Root set wrong
2) you didn't converted the BOB files to BOD format
-----------

1) open Global settings rollout in DBOX and set it to directory where your data are stored - usually something like X3 Reunion Unpacked

2) if the files in the mod you are trying to import have extension BOB, you will need to convert them to BOD with x2bc.

Anyway click on the Help and Modding Doc links in DBOX panel and read the help. It will explain it to you.

jensemann
x4

Post by jensemann » Mon, 29. May 06, 01:11

I have a question about textures again:

What do i have to do to get tiled or croped textures shown in the game? When i set a texture like glass_variations_diff.dds, it contains multiple textures. I get them shown the right way in max but when i export the model i see the whole texture in the game or it doesnt tile it. Checked already some other models with the same tex but couldnt find out what im doing wrong.

jensemann
ob ***modified*** oder nicht - Hauptsache: Spaß!!!

Carrier Fighter Supplies V1.2a deutsch
Carrier Fighter Supplies V1.2a english

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 29. May 06, 01:48

Apply a UVW Mapping modifier to your poly faces. That way, all your tiling, sizing, orientation, etc of materials will remain.

Cody1234
x3

Post by Cody1234 » Wed, 21. Jun 06, 16:31

link is broken :(
[ external image ]
Shoop+Space=Win

hayato
x3

Post by hayato » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 13:01

yeah another mirror would be awesome

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 18:42

Working now...sometimes the site is a bit slow.

I'll if doubleshadow wants to mirrior the download off the X-Wiki, as an alternative.

hayato
x3

Post by hayato » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 18:53

hmmmm http://www.doubleshadow.wz.cz is up again ... but the downloads dont work for me :(~~~~

anybody having the same probs or is it only my side follin around ?

Saint-Ashley
x4

Post by Saint-Ashley » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 18:58

Yes, his site is back up. But none of the downloads currently work. :(

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 20:07

His downloads have been down at least since last thursday, at least the one for the X2BC.

Goose
x4

!

Post by Goose » Sat, 29. Jul 06, 23:57

Sapce Hulks, Kilrathi, Skeltek, Shivans, Antarianer, I-War Aliens, Xenon, Händler, Piraten, Kopfgeldjäger ..... all gone!!

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Mon, 21. Aug 06, 16:29

Version 0.0.7 is out. Mainly for Gmax users but contains also one bug fix.

Julius_Sneezer
x3

Post by Julius_Sneezer » Mon, 25. Sep 06, 13:25

Has anyone every gotten Dbox to work in Gmax. I've tried for a few hours now but no luck. My last attempt was I copied all .ms files into one folder called startup. It almost worked. But when I start gmax there is a dbox2 gui but several errors as well. Like 'error bod_componet.ms' no + undefined. on several .ms files. The export sel button doesn't work.
"I've graduated to a Noobs Noob Assistant now!"

AMD 3000, MSI-7125 Nforce 4 Motherboard, 1gig ram DDR 400 Dual Channel, ATI X1950Pro 256, Win XP Sp2, Creative Audigy 2 Value

Julius_Sneezer
x3

Post by Julius_Sneezer » Mon, 25. Sep 06, 15:17

I've read through the forums on gmax. I couldn't find anybody who had me problem where the Utilities was blank? and run script dbox2autostart did nothing? Not even manually running the scripts are doing anything.

Are the scripts supposed to be installed in a different directory for gmax?

You should include a gmax help file install, use maybe.

AMD 3000, MSI-7125 Nforce 4 Motherboard, 1gig ram DDR 400 Dual Channel, ATI X1950Pro 256, Win XP Sp2, Creative Audigy 2 Value

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Tue, 26. Sep 06, 08:11

@Julius_Sneezer

You are aparently missing the "choose DBOX from your utilities menu" bit.

See this: http://www.xwiki.chaos.net.nz/index.php/DBOX2_FAQ

Julius_Sneezer
x3

Post by Julius_Sneezer » Tue, 26. Sep 06, 19:15

I had to move the .ms scripts for it to show up in gmax for some reason.
But I think I got it working. It seemed to have need half the scripts in startup the other half in DBOX, for it to stop the error messages.

I've been reading every single post on gmax at egosoft and xperiment fusion which was very very helpful. It is exporting now. But I still have some things to iron out. Like it will only export body front thrusters etc if I include the camera dummy etc. I also noticed when I tried to convert my scene bod into bob it came up as empty 0kb?

I also need to figure out how to use the x3 editor, I tried copying a TS class ship and rename it but it doesn't seem to allow you to rename it?

But I think I'm very close now. I'm not going to buy 3Dmax, I'm not a student. $200.00 is still too expensive. Too bad somebody couldn't change Dbox to work with Blender? But then again it is possible to use both Blender and gmax. Blender maybe more powerful, but gmax is much more user friendly.

As a side note, does X3 use normal maps?

As another side note, I can't seem to upload an avatar?

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 08:12

Julius_Sneezer wrote:It seemed to have need half the scripts in startup the other half in DBOX, for it to stop the error messages.
The installation is working flawlessly ever since DBOX is out (one year?). The only problems you might have is when you are running "game pack" for gmax. Game packs mess things up. But you can still run it, you just need to start the "correct" (original) gmax.
Like it will only export body front thrusters etc if I include the camera dummy etc.
Exporting scene or body? You probably just need to learn how stuff works - this is described in the original X2 ModKit (avail for download on this site) and to some extent in the tutorial which is part of DBOX.
I also noticed when I tried to convert my scene bod into bob it came up as empty 0kb?
Only when there is an error (well afaik it will always have > 0 size). You most likely tried to compile it as:

Code: Select all

x2bc -c --bob "da scene"

but it must be:

Code: Select all

x2bc -c --cut "da scene"

Anyway it's (almost) useless to compile scenes, only compile bodies.
I also need to figure out how to use the x3 editor, I tried copying a TS class ship and rename it but it doesn't seem to allow you to rename it?
If, by renaming, you mean to change "Barracuda" to "Super Duper Ship Mk. II" then this is not possible. Change the corresponding string in text resource files (xml). If you mean to change the ship ID (SS_SH_B_M3) that's possible.
Too bad somebody couldn't change Dbox to work with Blender?
Anybody can. Anybody who know Blender and know Python and is able to work on his own, that's it.
As a side note, does X3 use normal maps?
Yes it does. Ask DeadlyDa and Moxy for info about textures and modelling stuff. I've heard those too are not so bad... ;)

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”