Music: A blast from the past...

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

HelgeK
x2

Music: A blast from the past...

Post by HelgeK » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 02:20

Hey everyone,

before I entered my heavy metal phase, I was already making music. I used to use a sequencer program on my old Amiga to control some external synths, and guess what - the MIDI files from nearly two decades ago are still working on my new Mac today!

Since the master tapes from the old times are long gone (as are those synths, sadly), but the MIDI is still as good as new, I made a fresh mixdown of one of the old songs today. I dindn't change much, except for the instruments, obviously...

The year is 1989 - here goes: http://www.nopileos.de/htk_mariner_iv.mp3

Have phun :-)
Helge

TheBypasser
x3

Post by TheBypasser » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 12:59

heh it's l33t! One of the l33test midi renders I heard so far \m/

btw roffle @ signature :lol:
Attach the nails and electrodes!

Dragon2000X [DGF]
xr

Post by Dragon2000X [DGF] » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 22:51

helge this is absolutely great!
can i use this in my space-game or do you need it anywhere

HelgeK
x2

Post by HelgeK » Sat, 23. Sep 06, 02:48

Dragon2000X wrote:helge this is absolutely great!
can i use this in my space-game or do you need it anywhere
Please do, it's fine with me :-)

Browsing through my old MIDIs I found a set of songs from a game soundtrack I was asked to do in 1994. The game got never released, though. I'm tempted to make fresh mixdowns of these songs also...

Helge

Khaak_Hammer
x2

Post by Khaak_Hammer » Sat, 23. Sep 06, 11:29

HelgeK!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I thought you didnt post in the english forums these days?

Before I go on are you the author of "Farnhams Legend"?

Can't be to carefull (this won't be the first time).

Oh btw nice link.

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Sat, 23. Sep 06, 14:02

Khaak_Hammer wrote:HelgeK!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Oh btw nice link.
Yup, he's the guy behind Farnhams legend (already got that in paperback) and a few others (which I'm really hoping get translated into English!!!!)

:D

HelgeK
x2

Post by HelgeK » Sat, 23. Sep 06, 15:10

Khaak_Hammer wrote:HelgeK!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I thought you didnt post in the english forums these days?

Yes, I wrote FL. True, I don't post very often on the english forums these days, but neither do I post much on the german side. But I check frequently whether there are questions directed at me.

Helge

Khaak_Hammer
x2

Post by Khaak_Hammer » Sat, 23. Sep 06, 19:02

pleasue to meet you.

(vulcan hand salute) live long and prosper.

Dragon2000X [DGF]
xr

Post by Dragon2000X [DGF] » Sat, 23. Sep 06, 21:56

do you have more songs like thet or can you complete borderline and else, i already asked you in the german topic

HelgeK
x2

Post by HelgeK » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 02:36

Dragon2000X [DGF] wrote:do you have more songs like thet or can you complete borderline and else, i already asked you in the german topic
I have many more songs like that, most from between 1991 and 1997, but it's a very time consuming process to re-master them from the old MIDI files. It takes a whole day for one song. I will probably post one more tomorrow night, but this will be the last one for the time being.

However, I've just started working (with other musicians) on a musical version of Farnham's Legend. It will be in the vein of Star One's/Ayreon's Space Metal album. I hope :-) I am considering to include Borderline in some form, but I'm not sure yet...

Helge

TheBypasser
x3

Post by TheBypasser » Thu, 28. Sep 06, 20:16

HelgeK wrote:(with other musicians) on a musical version of Farnham's Legend.
0mg now that's teh news I was waiting for! (cus you are not kidding, do you? ;) ) Who are teh others btw? And the main question - WHEN??
Last edited by TheBypasser on Tue, 3. Oct 06, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

Outpostf
x3

Post by Outpostf » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 14:40

the song is realy good. got anymore?

HelgeK
x2

Post by HelgeK » Thu, 5. Oct 06, 17:01

TheBypasser wrote:
HelgeK wrote:(with other musicians) on a musical version of Farnham's Legend.
0mg now that's teh news I was waiting for! (cus you are not kidding, do you? ;) ) Who are teh others btw? And the main question - WHEN??
I am not kidding :-)

Right now, it looks like this:

Two guitarrists (one of my ex-band, and another)
Two singers (male, female; perhaps more)
A really good prog drummer who agreed to check/edit my drum programming (and possibly play the drums for the album live at the studio, but that's not yet certain).
Everything else by me.

When? Early 2008 (yes, oh-eight). But I'll post interim versions of songs when they become remotely acceptable in the course of the coming year.

There may be further delays, though, in case I am going to write another book...

Helge

HelgeK
x2

Post by HelgeK » Thu, 5. Oct 06, 17:04

Outpostf wrote:the song is realy good. got anymore?
Something I am working right now is this:

http://www.nopileos.de/vxr_splashdown.mp3

So this is not from the 80's, but from now, and it's still unfinished. I am currently working on this. There will be a female choire for the chorus.

Helge

TheBypasser
x3

Post by TheBypasser » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 02:09

HelgeK wrote:Two guitarrists (one of my ex-band, and another)
Two singers (male, female; perhaps more)
A really good prog drummer who agreed to check/edit my drum programming (and possibly play the drums for the album live at the studio, but that's not yet certain).
Names? Or that is a secret so if you tell us, you'll have to kill us afterwards? ;)

And btw - what style exactly? Metal can be veeeery different! ;)

anyway, looking forward to hear it all, so kickin' SETA on and waiting till '08 ;)

btw that "Splashdown" track is great! \m/

HelgeK
x2

Post by HelgeK » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 12:58

TheBypasser wrote:Names? Or that is a secret so if you tell us, you'll have to kill us afterwards? ;)
No, but you will self-destruct within five seconds after you finished listening to the album ;-)

But seriously, once the project is started, I will set up a homepage for it, and there you'll find the names, infos, and pictures. Too early to give away names that won't tell you anything anyway - it's not like they're famous musicians or anything. Not yet :-)
TheBypasser wrote:And btw - what style exactly? Metal can be veeeery different! ;)
In the style of Ayreon's "Space Metal" album, I don't know if this genre has a name; it's different from anything metal that I know. It has elements from heavy, symphonic, melodic, power and prog rock.

Helge

Woffin
x3tc

Post by Woffin » Tue, 20. Feb 07, 00:30

Hehe, lol, using the ole Slayer VST plugin? :D good stuff might I add Helge *thumbs up*. Lol, might have to dig out some of my old stuff too sometime. *memories come flooding back*

defiant1
x4

Re: Music: A blast from the past...

Post by defiant1 » Tue, 20. Feb 07, 00:45

HelgeK wrote: The year is 1989 - here goes: http://www.nopileos.de/htk_mariner_iv.mp3

Have phun :-)
Helge

\o/YEAAAAAA...1337!!!!\o/...im definently fonna put this int omy game...(just got to figure where it will fit best...hehehehe)...
Teladi Next Minute Shipping®

HelgeK
x2

Post by HelgeK » Tue, 20. Feb 07, 11:17

Woffin wrote:Hehe, lol, using the ole Slayer VST plugin? :D good stuff might I add Helge *thumbs up*. Lol, might have to dig out some of my old stuff too sometime. *memories come flooding back*
Yeah, I use Slayer2, but not the integrated amp sim, because it doesn't sound so good. Instead, I use the Plexi combo sim. BTW, have a look at the website in my sig. It's the one I promised a bit further up in this thread. The song in the dl section features a real guitar player (and not yet, but soon, a real drummer).

Helge

defiant1
x4

Post by defiant1 » Thu, 22. Feb 07, 19:08

i hope you or who ever else is making the music make some more kick butt music...hehe
Teladi Next Minute Shipping®

Return to “Creative Universe”